- 1 Review of initial updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process
- 2 Overview #2 of updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process
- 3 We invite you to join the movement strategy conversation (now through April 15)
- 4 Start of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees elections
- 5 Read-only mode for 20 to 30 minutes on 19 April and 3 May
- 6 Voting has begun in 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees elections
- 7 Beta Feature Two Column Edit Conflict View
- 8 RevisionSlider
- 9 Join the next cycle of Wikimedia movement strategy discussions (underway until June 12)
- 10 Start of the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Funds Dissemination Committee elections
- 11 Implementazione di prova di Visualizzatore
- 12 Improved search in deleted pages archive
- 13 Accessible editing buttons
- 14 Assemblea WMI a Torino il 14 ottobre
- 15 Changes to the global ban policy
- 16 New print to pdf feature for mobile web readers
- 17 Heads-up about a technical change affecting this wiki
- 18 itWikiCon 2018: sondaggio per il coinvolgimento della comunità
- 19 AdvancedSearch
- 20 Update on page issues on mobile web
Review of initial updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process[canbia]
Note: Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English. Message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.
The Wikimedia movement is beginning a movement-wide strategy discussion, a process which will run throughout 2017. For 15 years, Wikimedians have worked together to build the largest free knowledge resource in human history. During this time, we've grown from a small group of editors to a diverse network of editors, developers, affiliates, readers, donors, and partners. Today, we are more than a group of websites. We are a movement rooted in values and a powerful vision: all knowledge for all people. As a movement, we have an opportunity to decide where we go from here.
This movement strategy discussion will focus on the future of our movement: where we want to go together, and what we want to achieve. We hope to design an inclusive process that makes space for everyone: editors, community leaders, affiliates, developers, readers, donors, technology platforms, institutional partners, and people we have yet to reach. There will be multiple ways to participate including on-wiki, in private spaces, and in-person meetings. You are warmly invited to join and make your voice heard.
The immediate goal is to have a strategic direction by Wikimania 2017 to help frame a discussion on how we work together toward that strategic direction.
Regular updates are being sent to the Wikimedia-l mailing list, and posted on Meta-Wiki. Beginning with this message, monthly reviews of these updates will be sent to this page as well. Sign up to receive future announcements and monthly highlights of strategy updates on your user talk page.
Here is a review of the updates that have been sent so far:
- Update 1 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (15 December 2016)
- Introduction to process and information about budget spending resolution to support it
- Update 2 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (23 December 2016)
- Start of search for Lead Architect for movement strategy process
- Update 3 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (8 January 2017)
- Plans for strategy sessions at upcoming Wikimedia Conference 2017
- Update 4 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (11 January 2017)
- Introduction of williamsworks
- Update 5 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (2 February 2017)
- The core movement strategy team, team tracks being developed, introduction of the Community Process Steering Committee, discussions at WikiIndaba conference 2017 and the Wikimedia movement affiliates executive directors gathering in Switzerland
- Update 6 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (10 February 2017)
- Tracks A & B process prototypes and providing feedback, updates on development of all four Tracks
More information about the movement strategy is available on the Meta-Wiki 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy portal.
Overview #2 of updates on Wikimedia movement strategy process[canbia]
Note: Apologies for cross-posting and sending in English. This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.
As we mentioned last month, the Wikimedia movement is beginning a movement-wide strategy discussion, a process which will run throughout 2017. This movement strategy discussion will focus on the future of our movement: where we want to go together, and what we want to achieve.
Regular updates are being sent to the Wikimedia-l mailing list, and posted on Meta-Wiki. Each month, we are sending overviews of these updates to this page as well. Sign up to receive future announcements and monthly highlights of strategy updates on your user talk page.
Here is a overview of the updates that have been sent since our message last month:
- Update 7 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (16 February 2017)
- Development of documentation for Tracks A & B
- Update 8 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (24 February 2017)
- Introduction of Track Leads for all four audience tracks
- Update 9 on Wikimedia movement strategy process (2 March 2017)
- Seeking feedback on documents being used to help facilitate upcoming community discussions
More information about the movement strategy is available on the Meta-Wiki 2017 Wikimedia movement strategy portal.
We invite you to join the movement strategy conversation (now through April 15)[canbia]
06:09, 18 mar 2017 (CET)
Please accept our apologies for cross-posting this message. This message is available for translation on Meta-Wiki.
On behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee, I am pleased to announce that self-nominations are being accepted for the 2017 Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees Elections.
The Board of Trustees (Board) is the decision-making body that is ultimately responsible for the long-term sustainability of the Wikimedia Foundation, so we value wide input into its selection. More information about this role can be found on Meta-Wiki. Please read the letter from the Board of Trustees calling for candidates.
The candidacy submission phase will last from April 7 (00:00 UTC) to April 20 (23:59 UTC).
We will also be accepting questions to ask the candidates from April 7 to April 20. You can submit your questions on Meta-Wiki.
Once the questions submission period has ended on April 20, the Elections Committee will then collate the questions for the candidates to respond to beginning on April 21.
The goal of this process is to fill the three community-selected seats on the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. The election results will be used by the Board itself to select its new members.
The full schedule for the Board elections is as follows. All dates are inclusive, that is, from the beginning of the first day (UTC) to the end of the last.
- April 7 (00:00 UTC) – April 20 (23:59 UTC) – Board nominations
- April 7 – April 20 – Board candidates questions submission period
- April 21 – April 30 – Board candidates answer questions
- May 1 – May 14 – Board voting period
- May 15–19 – Board vote checking
- May 20 – Board result announcement goal
In addition to the Board elections, we will also soon be holding elections for the following roles:
- Funds Dissemination Committee (FDC)
- There are five positions being filled. More information about this election will be available on Meta-Wiki.
- Funds Dissemination Committee Ombudsperson (Ombuds)
- One position is being filled. More information about this election will be available on Meta-Wiki.
Please note that this year the Board of Trustees elections will be held before the FDC and Ombuds elections. Candidates who are not elected to the Board are explicitly permitted and encouraged to submit themselves as candidates to the FDC or Ombuds positions after the results of the Board elections are announced.
More information on this year's elections can be found on Meta-Wiki. Any questions related to the election can be posted on the election talk page on Meta-Wiki, or sent to the election committee's mailing list, board-electionswikimedia.org.MediaWiki message delivery on behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Elections Committee, 05:36, 7 avr 2017 (CEST) • Aiutaci a tradurre nella tua lingua • Get help
Read-only mode for 20 to 30 minutes on 19 April and 3 May[canbia]
Beta Feature Two Column Edit Conflict View[canbia]
Birgit Müller (WMDE) 16:42, 8 maj 2017 (CEST)
Birgit Müller (WMDE) 16:44, 16 maj 2017 (CEST)
23:08, 16 maj 2017 (CEST)
23:05, 23 maj 2017 (CEST)
Implementazione di prova di Visualizzatore[canbia]
Per chi volesse provare il visualizzatore che si sta sviluppando su it.source, è sufficiente aggiungere alla pagina Utente:NomeUtente/common.js (ovviamente sostituite NomeUtente con il vostro!) il seguente codice:
Improved search in deleted pages archive[canbia]
Aiutaci a tradurre nella tua lingua
During Wikimedia Hackathon 2016, the Discovery team worked on one of the items on the 2015 community wishlist, namely enabling searching the archive of deleted pages. This feature is now ready for production deployment, and will be enabled on all wikis, except Wikidata.
Right now, the feature is behind a feature flag - to use it on your wiki, please go to the
Special:Undelete page, and add
&fuzzy=1 to the URL, like this: https://test.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3AUndelete&fuzzy=1. Then search for the pages you're interested in. There should be more results than before, due to using ElasticSearch indexing (via the CirrusSearch extension).
We plan to enable this improved search by default on all wikis soon (around August 1, 2017). If you have any objections to this - please raise them with the Discovery team via email or on this announcement's discussion page. Like most Mediawiki configuration parameters, the functionality can be configured per wiki.
Once the improved search becomes the default, you can still access the old mode using
&fuzzy=0 in the URL, like this: https://test.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3AUndelete&fuzzy=0
Please note that since Special:Undelete is an admin-only feature, this search capability is also only accessible to wiki admins.
Assemblea WMI a Torino il 14 ottobre[canbia]
Changes to the global ban policy[canbia]
New print to pdf feature for mobile web readers[canbia]
Heads-up about a technical change affecting this wiki[canbia]
Ciao. Aiutaci a tradurre nella tua lingua. Grassie!
In July 2017, the Wikimedia Foundation announced the intention to replace Tidy with RemexHTML across the Wikimedia cluster by July 2018. In order to make this switch, a number of broken wikitext patterns were identified that required fixing on wikis, highlighted via the high priority categories in the Linter extension.
While still planning to finish turning off Tidy in July 2018, doing early switches of wikis from Tidy to Remex will let us identify any lingering issues that are not already caught by the linter categories and our QA testing. We are encouraging big wikis that have worked hard to switch sooner, for example.
Since your wiki has zero high-priority errors, we think that it is ready to switch from Tidy to Remex. To be clear, if we notice problems (or if the wiki requests it), we will revert the change, after identifying the source of the problem. If you notice any incorrect rendering, you can use
?action=parsermigration-edit to identify if the switch from Tidy actually caused it.
We are suggesting 5 December 2017 as the possible date for the switch to happen, so there would still be plenty of time to fix any issues before the holidays start. We look forward to hearing any concerns you would have with this plan, and about how we can help make this transition as smooth as possible: if you have any comments, please remember to ping me personally to make sure I notice and address them, otherwise we will assume this message is acknowledged and the deadline works for your community.
Best, mw:User:Elitre (WMF) 11:35, 28 nov 2017 (CET)
PS: Apologies if you are seeing this message on a page that is not the best location for it: I have looked for the appropriate target pages (for example, on Meta), but may have found none. Please, by all means, move the message where you see fit, but most importantly, fix the various distribution lists by adding the correct page there, to avoid that this happens again in the future. I appreciate your understanding, and am available for further information and explanations.
itWikiCon 2018: sondaggio per il coinvolgimento della comunità[canbia]
Ciao a tutti! Come alcuni di voi sapranno, stiamo organizzando la seconda edizione di itWikiCon dopo quella di novembre 2017. Anche quest'anno abbiamo intenzione di chiedere un conference grant a Wikimedia Foundation: per fare ciò, e per raccogliere il consenso della comunità abbiamo preparato un questionario anonimo che siete tutti invitati a compilare. Potete trovarlo a questo link (il questionario è ospitato da Google, ma non richiede alcuna autenticazione). Per rispondere avete tempo fino a venerdì 2 febbraio 2018, ore 22.00 (CET).--Ferdi2005 (disc.) 18:30, 7 zen 2018 (CET)
Birgit Müller (WMDE) 16:54, 7 maj 2018 (CEST)